The Maudsley Training Programme
The Maudsley Training Programme (MTP) encompasses a number of postgraduate training programmes in psychiatry.
The programme offers a wide range of clinical posts and teaching programmes delivered by experienced clinical and academic trainers, giving doctors in training options to tailor their training experience to meet their individual needs and preferences.
The Maudsley has always been synonymous with clinical and academic excellence in psychiatry and is internationally recognised as a centre for high quality, reliable psychiatric training, with an established track record of Maudsley trained alumni successfully securing senior clinical and academic posts, both nationally and internationally.
The MTP, based at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, is commissioned by Health Education England (HEE) to run the following programmes with our partner Trusts Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust and South West London and St George’s Mental Health Trust:
- Core Psychiatry Training – across South East London
- General Adult Psychiatry Higher Training – across South East London
- Old Age Psychiatry Higher Training – across South East London
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Higher Training – across South London
- Forensic Psychiatry Higher Training - across South London
- Medical Psychotherapy Higher Training - across South London
- Psychiatry of Learning Disabilities Higher Training - across South London.
We are also unique in British psychiatry because of our proximity to the internationally renowned Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience at King's College London and links with the pioneering NIHR Maudsley Biomedical Research Centre.
Programme highlights include:
- High quality training in evidenced-based biopsychosocial psychiatry, working in a wide range of specialties, sub-specialities and clinical settings
- Extensive opportunities to develop clinical skills and competencies through supervised practice, simulation training and psychotherapy training
- A highly rated taught programme incorporating grand rounds and journal clubs
- Excellent research opportunities, supported by senior academic staff
- A well-established Integrated Academic Training track with a number of Academic Clinical Fellow (ACF) and Clinical Lecturer (CL) posts
- Access to world-class educational resources from affiliations with the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King’s College London and King’s Health Partners
- Support to pursue interests in leadership, management and quality improvement
- Opportunities for out-of-programme placement locally, nationally and internationally.
Further details can be found here: