Managing challenging situations and Neurology
This one-day course is aimed at nursing staff (nurses and healthcare assistants) working on the neurology wards at King's.
Participants will be involved in a series of simulated scenarios based on common challenging situations using actors. Debriefing models are employed to assist participants to learn positively and constructively from the experience.
• Confidently identify signs and triggers of agitation, acutely disturbed or escalating behaviour.
• Approach patients with challenging or escalating behaviour with a holistic approach; managing physical, psychological and social aspects of their care
• Understand the legal frameworks relevant to patients in an acute hospital with challenging behaviour, including The Mental Capacity Act, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and The Mental Health Act.
• Be able to formulate a management plan for disturbed or challenging behaviour in the acute phase and in the longer term.
• Be able to assess risk, including suicide prevention and self-harm.
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.