Student mental health webinar
It is estimated that one in four university students will experience mental illness and students are increasingly speaking to student support services and faculty members about their mental health concerns. COVID has highlighted the difficulties many students face, while staff report feeling ill-equipped to deal with complex or acute mental health problems.
This one-hour webinar focuses on using simple relational skills and psychological techniques to manage a student in acute distress, engage them in a solution-focused conversation, and establish professional boundaries early on.
This webinar is based on our one-day Maudsley Masterclass Mental health skills for university faculty and personal tutors, which uses case-based interactive learning to empower university staff to work skilfully within their professional boundaries, providing effective and time-efficient support to students.
The following topics are covered:
- Managing students during acute distress or panic with de-escalation techniques
- Therapeutic engagement and ‘moving on’ from acute distress
- Managing professional boundaries · Signposting to other services
- Manage acute distress or panic
- Respond effectively to students experiencing psychological difficulties
- Move from distress to goal-setting using simple therapeutic techniques
- Set boundaries in your role as academic or personal tutor
- Signpost to appropriate services as needed
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.