Dementia Assessment and Support
This is a one-day online simulation course that focuses on the assessment and management of older adults with dementia.
It is designed for psychiatry trainees (core trainees and higher trainees of any sub-speciality), as well as other junior doctors such as foundation doctors, and other mental health professionals working with older adults (RMNs, social workers, allied health professionals).
This is a highly interactive small group training where attendees will participate in short simulated scenarios, interacting live with our simulated patients. Each simulated scenario is followed by a group debrief led by our experienced facilitators.
The scenarios include a range of challenging situations that may arise when working with patients with dementia and their carers, covering community, liaison and inpatient settings.
After attending this course, you will:
- Have improved skills in the assessment and management of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSDs)
- Have improved understanding of the role of non-technical skills e.g. situational awareness, leadership and team working, when working with older adults in both psychiatric and medical settings
- Gain a practical understanding of the legal frameworks used when working with older adults, including the Mental Capacity Act (MCA), Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and the Mental Health Act (MHA).
- Increase their understanding of other legal frameworks including Advance Directives
- Gain experience of communicating sensitively with families and carers under difficult circumstances
- Have improved confidence in creating holistic formulations for older adults presenting with mental health difficulties, to include social, physical health and psychological factors
- Have increased confidence in the identification and management of safeguarding issues in older adults.
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.