Assessment intervention and care for older people with alcohol use disorders
The number of older people with alcohol misuse has increased significantly over the past decade. This course aims to improve knowledge, skills, and confidence in the assessment and care of people with this alcohol use disorders, including those that accompany other mental disorders such as depression and dementia.
Learners will improve their skills in assessment, intervention and providing an integrated approach to care by focussing on the needs of older people. They will learn to make quality assessments and identify appropriate interventions and referral pathways in order to reduce risk associated with alcohol use disorders to improve health and social outcomes. This will include people with alcohol related cognitive impairment.
Learners will practice formulating a tailored approach to cognitive rehabilitation to improve independence and provide integrated care for their patients with alcohol use disorders. Common challenges to assessment and intervention will be also be discussed.
What you will learn from taking this course:
- Learn about trends in alcohol-related harm at population and clinical levels
- Carry out a comprehensive assessment of alcohol related harm in older people
- Screen for alcohol use to identify types of risky drinking and offer interventions
- Screen for Alcohol Related Cognitive Impairment (ARCI)
- Reflect on barriers to the assessment, treatment, and care of people with ARCI
- Make high quality and appropriate referrals within integrated care pathways to improve health and social outcomes for alcohol use disorders
- Implement principles of cognitive rehabilitation into everyday practice
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.