Assessment and Mental State Simulation Training
This is a one-day skills refresher course for psychiatric nurses, support workers, psychologists, social workers and all allied health professionals who complete mental health assessments and examinations.
The course uses simulation training and aims to revisit the important parts of history taking and mental state examination skills, including how to ask difficult questions about a person's experiences and symptoms.
You will be involved in a series of simulated scenarios using actors as well as a mini teaching sessions to refresh your knowledge of assessment and mental state examination. Debriefing models are used to assist positive and constructive learning.
What you will learn from taking this course:
- to carry out a comprehensive assessment, including thinking about a patient's strengths
- to accurately identify and document a range of psychopathology, suggestive of different mental illness
- to develop communication strategies helpful in asking challenging or sensitive questions
- to increase confidence in conducting a mental state examination
- to increase confidence in conducting a suicide risk assessment
- to practice communication using the SBARD model.
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.