Reducing restraint and improving safe practice in acute care
This two-day course for band 6+ nurses and security staff who may encounter violent or aggressive situations, will look at behavioural causes and suitable responses, blending theory with simulation-based training.
It is suitable for professionals who need to develop skills and knowledge about their role in reducing restrictive practices in acute settings. Trust support structures, policies and resources will be clearly outlined. It will explore the management and leadership qualities that are required by anyone acting in such roles.
Participants will be involved in a day of classroom-based education covering causes of aggression, risk assessment and management of aggression, patient safety, common mental health diagnoses, symptoms and behaviour, stigma and physical health outcomes for patients with serious mental illness.
The simulation day will be a series of simulated scenarios using actors as simulated patients. Debriefing models will be employed to assist participants to learn positively and constructively from the experience.
After attending this course, participants will:
- Be able to describe the roles and responsibilities of the nurses and security staff when managing incidents in a hospital setting.
- Have increased awareness and knowledge of a range of interpersonal skills in relation to de-escalation.
- Feel more confident when working with mental health presentations in acute settings.
- Understand the role of good quality communication when working with these patients.
- Be more confident to assess and manage anger and frustration when exhibited by any patient.
- Have a greater understanding of the stigma faced by patients with Mental health diagnoses.
- Better understand the role of human factors or non-technical skills, e.g. situational awareness, leadership, team working, in psychiatric emergencies.
- Demonstrate increased confidence in managing common clinical incidents
- Demonstrate improved inter-disciplinary working.
- Be able to use a systematic approach to assess and manage aggression and violence in medical settings.
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.